Payroll Giving - Employees

The Payroll Giving scheme has been proven to be the best way to donate to a charity, church, or charitable organisation

It is a tax efficient way of giving to charity - any PAYE liability is calculated after the Payroll Giving contribution has been deducted from gross pay, so the tax that would have been sent to the Chancellor of the Exchequer is received by the nominated charities

Once set up, there is nothing more for you to do other than change your nominated charities or the amount of your Payroll Giving deduction

If your employer pays the administration charge and/or matches the Payroll Giving deductions, the nominated charities benefit from your participation by receiving enhanced donations

Why not join the hundreds of thousands of workers who already donate through Payroll Giving to charitable organisations from which you may yourself benefit in the future?

What does participating in Payroll Giving involve?

To participate in the Payroll Giving scheme, you have to:

  • Decide how much you wish to have deducted each payday
  • Decide to which charities you wish to allocate your donations – this choice can remain confidential and not communicated to the employer
  • You may find it useful to consult either the Charity Commission or the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator websites to search the lists of registered charities – but you can also give to churches and charitable organisations such as a village hall, hospital radio, or a Parent Teacher Association
  • Let your Payroll Department and Charitable Giving know your decision

How do I sign up for Payroll Giving?

To sign up, you need to complete a Donation Choice Form on which you specify the total Payroll Giving deduction for your employer's Payroll Department and the amount to be allocated to each charity for us at Charitable Giving.

The minimum requirements for Payroll Giving deductions are £1 per week or £5 per month

Donation Choice Forms may be obtained from one's Payroll Department or Payroll Giving Scheme Administrator, or by downloading a form and sending it to us in the post

On the other hand, you can both sign up and manage your payroll Giving via our website if you register as an on-line user or through your employer's Intranet if they have established a direct link with our website (see Payroll Giving Management At Work under Corporate Services)

How can I change my donations?

Having signed up, you may wish at some time in the future to change:

  • Your overall Payroll Giving deduction provided it is at least the minimum required
  • The amount you allocate to specific charities, or
  • Your nominated charities

To do so requires the changes to be specified on a Donation Choice Form that can either be downloaded or completed if you are a registered on-line user

If I am unsure to which charities to donate, can I still sign up for Payroll Giving?

Yes. In most cases, especially upon joining the scheme, Payroll Giving deductions are allocated to nominated charities. However, you can save all or part of your Payroll Giving deduction in a personal account, called an Individual Options Account, so that you can make charitable donations as and when you wish, for example, when you identify a needy cause while on holiday or to donate to a "special" or "emergency" appeal.

What can I do if my employer does not operate a Payroll Giving scheme?

You should be able to find out if your employer operates a Payroll Giving scheme by checking with the person or department responsible for your payroll.

However, if your employer has not set up a scheme you could download our Payroll Giving Pack in order to raise the matter. Alternatively, if you would like us to make an approach to discuss the possibility of setting up a scheme, please Contact Us.

It is worth noting that, even if your employer or pension provider does not operate a Payroll Giving scheme, you can set up an Individual Options Account and make donations through Gift Aid. However, please Contact Us to set up an account on this basis.

Buzz Interactive